Dien Bien is a mountainous border province in the Northwest region of Vietnam, possessing wild and interesting nature. Dien Bien is a province rich in tourism potential, especially in the cultural and historical field with many attractive tourist destinations. Among them, it is impossible not to mention Tuan Giao – a relatively new but extremely beautiful destination of Dien Bien province. Let’s explore this wild but exciting land with Origin Vietnam!
1. Where is Tuan Giao?
Tuan Giao is a mountainous district in Dien Bien province, about 80 km northeast of the city center and about 390 km northwest of Hanoi capital. About geographical location:
- To the north it borders Tua Chua district.
- The South borders Muong Ang district.
- The West borders Muong Cha district.
- In the East, Thuan Chau and Quynh Nhai districts belong to Son La province.
2. How is Tuan Chau unique?
Tuan Giao has many eco-tourism areas with majestic natural beauty, a familiar destination attracting domestic and foreign tourists. There are many fun spots with unique ideas, new and colorful spaces. Such as: Tenh Phong ecological area, Muong Thin waterfall, Sang village hot springs (Quai Cang commune), Pha Din Pass, Pu Pha Din,…
In addition, Tuan Giao is also a heroic land with many historical – cultural – revolutionary relics. Such as Pu Nhung Revolutionary Base Area, enchanting scenic spots like: Mun Chung Cave, Ca Mau Cave. Ban Kha,…
Moreover, this is an ancient land, preserving traditional cultural beauties like folk cultural festivals and traditional craft villages.
3. When is the best time to travel to Tuan Giao?
With mild air, green space, and pleasant weather, you can come to Tuan Giao in any season of the year. However, according to our experience, the period from September to April next year is the ideal time to travel to Tuan Giao.
At this time, visitors can admire the terraced fields in the ripe rice crop with the space everywhere glowing with a shiny golden color stretching endlessly. We also recommend that visitors should not go in the rainy season because the terrain here is mainly mountainous with steep slopes and sharp curves. There are many potential risks of slipping and losing control when it rains. The remaining seasons of the year have their own beauty:
- Going around March is the season when Ban flowers bloom white in the Northwest.
- In December of the solar calendar, on the section of National Highway 6 to Dien Bien, wild sunflowers bloom brightly yellow on both sides of the road.
- Going around August-September to combine rice viewing in some areas of the province.
- Going in November to see canola flowers.
4. How to get to Tuan Giao?
4.1. Traveling by plane
For tourists with limited time and in remote provinces such as the Central region, the South of Vietnam, or even Hanoi, traveling by plane to Tuan Giao Dien Bien is a reasonable choice.
Currently, only Vietnam Airlines is operating flights from Hanoi – Dien Bien. With this method of transportation, you will save quite a bit of time compared to traveling by motorbike or bus.
Travel time from Hanoi to Dien Bien is only 1 hour. When landing at Dien Bien Phu airport, visitors can rent a taxi, take an intra-province bus or rent a motorbike to continue moving to Tuan Giao.
4.2. Travel by car
In addition to flying, traveling by car from Hanoi to Tuan Giao is also a form chosen by many tourists.
You can catch a bus to Dien Bien at 2 bus stations in Hanoi: Giap Bat and My Dinh with a travel time of about 14 hours.
4.3. Travel by motorbike
Motorbikes are also the means of transportation to Dien Bien chosen by many backpackers. However, this distance is quite far and dangerous, so if you do not have a strong handlebar, you should not choose to travel this way.
The route is as follows: Starting from Hanoi, moving along National Highway 6 through Hoa Binh town > Cao Phong > Moc Chau town > Yen Chau > Lai Chau > Thuan Chau > Tuan Giao.
5. Sightseeing in Tuan Giao
5.1 Tham Pua Cave
Tham Pua Cave, also known as Ong Giao Cave, is located right at the foot of Pu Hong Cay Mountain. Archaeologists have discovered that in Tham Pua cave there are many traces left by ancient Vietnamese people.
In addition, during the resistance war against the French colonialists. It’s also the place trusted by the Vietnamese army and people as the first command base, an important part contributing to the famous victory in five continents – Dien Bien. Government in 1954. The beauty of Tham Pua cave is very natural and wild. The deeper you go into the cave, the more visitors will have the opportunity to admire giant stone slabs with all different shapes.
5.2. Pha Din Pass
Pha Din Pass is known as one of the “Four great passes” in Vietnam. Besides O Quy Ho Pass, Ma Pi Leng Pass, Pha Din Pass is also a favorite exploration route for genuine backpackers.
Pha Din Pass has a length of up to 32 km, the starting point of the Pass is 66 km west of Son La City, and the end point of the Pass is 84 km from Dien Bien City.
From a distance, the long straight pass looks like a rope connecting each mountain together. This is one of the check-in points with extremely majestic views that attracts many tourists, especially young people.
6. Specialties when traveling to Tuan Giao
Not too rich in variety, but the dishes in Tuan Giao are extremely unique and one of a kind, making visitors from everywhere satisfied. We can name a few delicious dishes and specialties of Dien Bien such as:
6.1. Grilled stream fish (Pa Pinh top)
For Thai ethnic people, fish dishes along with upland sticky rice and tubers and fruits are important and popular foods in daily meals. The main ingredients of “pa pinh top” are stream fish and spices. This dish is special both from the way it is prepared and the way it combines spices.
6.2. Grilled chicken with Mac Khen
Mac Khen grilled chicken is a very famous dish of Thai people in the Northwest region, including Dien Bien. Choose charcoal to keep the heat and not let it cool or burn too loudly. Do not add fat to the chicken like normal grilling. Baking slowly and leisurely.
While grilling, let the chicken fat drain naturally so that the skin and meat are close together. When grilling, be careful to make sure the chicken is cooked until firm before applying the Mac Khen seasoning sauce. When exposed to heat, Mac Khen emits a sweet fragrance.
Grilled Mac Khen chicken has golden skin, fragrant meat, sweet taste, strong flavors of Mac Khen, lemongrass, ginger, and chili. When preparing, choose delicious chicken, clean it then grill it.
6.3. Sticky rice
Upland sticky rice is grown a lot in the Northwest provinces. But when talking about the most delicious sticky rice, people often think of Dien Bien sticky rice. Dien Bien upland sticky rice grains are plump and round, and when cooked, they are sweet, fragrant, and soft. The way to prepare sticky rice in upland fields is more elaborate than that of rice fields. The sticky rice must be prepared in a special wooden basket of the Thai people. The sticky rice is steam-cooked, soft, flexible but not sticky to the hands.
6.4. Hoa Ban Vegetables
Hoa Ban vegetable is a traditional “rice serving” dish of Thai people in the Northwest region, especially in Dien Bien. These are new banyan flower buds with only a pair of leaves. Thai people pick them from banyan trees on high hills, bring them home, wash them and put them in a salt jar like sauerkraut salt in the lowlands. Salted buds eaten with braised Nam Rom river fish are incomparably delicious.
7. Accommodation when traveling to Tuan Giao
When traveling to Tuan Giao, visitors have many options for accommodation facilities. Most accommodation facilities here are mainly concentrated in the town center, creating favorable conditions for visitors to easily move between destinations. Below are some accommodation facilities that you can refer to:
- Pha Din Guesthouse. Address: Dong Tam Block, Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Guest house of Tuan Giao district People’s Committee. Address: Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Yunnan Guesthouse. Address: Son Thuy Block, Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Tuan Giao Commercial Hotel. Address: Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Community Guest House. Address: Block 20/7, Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Tuan Giao Bus Station Guesthouse. Address: Tan Giang Block, Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
- Tuan Giao Guesthouse. Address: Tan Thuy Block, Tuan Giao Town, Tuan Giao, Dien Bien
8. Some important notes when traveling to Tuan Giao
To make the trip to Tuan Giao as enjoyable and complete as possible, visitors should prepare carefully before departure
- Bringing basic medicines, protective gloves, raincoats, electronic devices, etc.
- Preparing some carbonated drinks, sweets, or fast food to refuel, restore stamina, and continue on the journey of discovery ahead.
- You should wear sports shoes with high grip, this will help you move easily, especially climbing.
- Bringing some necessary necessities
- Luggage needs to be compact and light, avoid carrying too much, making it difficult to move.
- Planning your trip in detail to save time and money.
- You should bring cash because electronic payment methods may be interrupted due to poor phone signals.
If you are planning your Dien Bien tour to Tuan Giao, immediately contact Origin Vietnam – a professional tour operator. With a team of consultants, tour operators and local guides who are experienced, dedicated and deeply knowledgeable about this land. We will take you on a special tour of Vietnam to discover Tuan Giao with wonderful experiences and unforgettable memories.