Travel enthusiasts are certainly not unfamiliar with Trung Khanh (Cao Bang). This place is blessed by mother nature with beautiful natural scenery and a series of famous places. Let’s take a look at the Trung Khanh tourist destinations you can’t miss with the Origin travel team.
1. Where is Trung Khanh?
Trung Khanh district is located in the Northeast of Cao Bang province, about 60 km from Cao Bang city center. This district borders China through the Po Peo border gate. The nature of this place possesses the majestic beauty, full of the breath of the mountains and forests.
2. How is unique of Trung Khanh?
Trung Khanh is still an ancient land, this place preserves a lot of poetry and history. Such as: Co Sau town, Ban Ra market, Thong Hoa market… Trung Khanh is the birthplace and main place of residence of the Tay people, there are intersections with Chinese culture.
Parallel to the system of revolutionary historical relics, culture and scenic spots are rich and unique intangible cultural treasures such as customs, practices, beliefs, festivals, and performing arts. Folk songs, folk dances, traditional crafts, and many other forms of intangible culture are preserved and promoted.
3. What is the best season to travel to Trung Khanh?
Trung Khanh has 4 distinct seasons, Spring – Summer – Autumn – Winter, typical of the climate of the Northeast. So in each season, you can admire a very unique and extremely poetic scene. Because of the above advantages, Trung Khanh is one of the districts with a large number of tourists visiting when traveling to Cao Bang.
- From August to September is the beautiful season of Trung Khanh when Ban Gioc waterfall pours abundant and clear water, and many sections of terraced rice fields ripen golden.
- The rainy season is from June to September, the water flows, creating white foam. The dry season is from October to May of the following year, the weather is colder, the water flows calmly and is clear.
- If you just want to see the waterfall combined with the golden fields, you can go in October. To experience the wild sunflower or buckwheat season, you should go in November and December. March is the flower season. The pear is enchantingly beautiful.
- Early morning and evening in the mountains of Trung Khanh, the weather will be cold, the temperature can drop to 15-16 degrees Celsius. If traveling by motorbike, remember to wear warm clothes and bring a raincoat.
4. How to get to Trung Khanh?
Cao Bang is about 280 km from Hanoi. From Hanoi to Cao Bang City, there are bus companies such as Thanh Ly, Khanh Hoan, 42… at My Dinh, Giap Bat, Gia Lam bus stations. Travel time takes about 6-7 hours.
- Coming to Cao Bang city, you can find places to rent motorbikes to move on to Trung Khanh. Price is about 200,000 VND per day, not including gasoline. Be sure to fill the tank with gas because there are not many gas stations on the road. To move to Trung Khanh district from Cao Bang city, follow the direction of National Highway 3 straight to Provincial Road 206 and you will reach Trung Khanh district.
- If you travel by private car, you can travel in the direction of Hanoi – Lang Son highway, along National Highway 4 to Cao Bang. Another direction is Hanoi – Thai Nguyen highway. To Thai Nguyen, continue on Thai Nguyen – Cho Moi highway then go to Bac Kan, continue on National Highway 3 through Phu Thong – Ngan Son – Cao Bang.
- From Bac Kan to Cao Bang, the road is small but flat, and sedans run well. There are a lot of curves, especially after passing Ngan Son. The road through Bac Kan is more winding than the way through Lang Son.
5. Activities and Experiences in Trung Khanh
5.1. Ban Gioc Waterfall
Ban Gioc Waterfall is considered the pride of the people of the Northwest and is known as one of the most majestic and beautiful waterfalls in Southeast Asia. The waterfall has a wild and poetic beauty. The falling water collides with the limestone slabs, creating a scene like a fairyland.
5.2 .Phat Tich Truc Lam Ban Gioc Pagoda
Truc Lam Phat Tich Pagoda was inaugurated on December 15, 2014 and is the first pagoda built in the northern border land of our country. Built against Phia Nhiem mountain, from here we can see the panoramic view of Ban Gioc waterfall.
Truc Lam Phat Tich Pagoda possesses Vietnamese-style architecture with ironwood structures, tiled roofs, sword roofs and parallel sentences in Vietnamese. All create a pure Vietnamese temple in the north of the country.
5.3. Nguom Ngao Cave
Nguom Ngao Cave was discovered in 1921 and recognized as a national scenic spot in 1998. As one of the magnificent caves in Cao Bang, Nguom Ngao possesses wild, splendid and extremely unique beauty without any artificial impact. You will quickly be captivated when admiring the brilliant layers of stalactites with thousands of different colors and shapes.
5.4. Ban Viet Lake
Ban Viet possesses a picturesque landscape, full of peace and tranquility. In particular, try visiting Ban Viet Lake, where the blue of the sky, the white of the clouds, and the vast, clear lake surface intersect. In the middle of the lake is a gazebo with white painted walls and red tiles. All create a heartbreakingly beautiful picture.
5.5. Quay Son River
Quay Son River originates from Guangxi (China), the winding emerald river creates a beautiful scene like a fairyland. Sometimes the river is as soft as silk, sometimes strong with enduring internal strength.
5.6. Phong Nam
Phong Nam is a small commune located in Trung Khanh district, Cao Bang province. This is a tourist destination that is little known to tourists. The distance to Phong Nam commune is relatively simple and not too difficult. When stopping here, it is like you are immersed in a natural space with images of houses nestled in the trees. The leaves of the trees often lie next to the small hillside, giving you a very peaceful feeling.
This place is a frequent destination for young people, especially those who love backpacking routes. Tourists usually travel here by motorbike to breathe and enjoy the atmosphere. from nature.
5.7. Khuoi Ky stone village
Khuoi Ky Village will be an extremely unique tourist destination for tourists, if you are familiar with concrete houses in the city, or thatched houses in the Northern Delta. Coming to Trung Khanh district, Cao Bang province, you will see a village with all the houses made of extremely special stone.
The village is located between two extremely famous tourist destinations of Cao Bang, Nguom Ngao cave and Ban Gioc waterfall. This is a village associated with the stone body worship culture of the Tay ethnic people. Coming here, you feel like you are immersed in an ancient and quiet space but still exudes a majestic beauty amidst the natural picture of the mountains and forests.
5.8. Po Peo Border Gate
Being the border gate adjacent to China, of Po Peo border gate in Na Han village, Ngoc Con commune, Trung Khanh district, Cao Bang province. Cua Khau is the end point of Provincial Road 211, about 22 km from Trung Khanh town, following this road you can reach Po Peo Fort.
The border gate in the East is the Quay Son River, which flows into the Vietnamese area about 2 km further. The Chinese side of the river is called Nam Tan He.
5.9. Co La Waterfall
Co La Waterfall is a beautiful waterfall located in Chi Vien commune, Trung Khanh district, Cao Bang province. The waterfall is located inside Ruoc village – a village of the Tay people with many unique traditional cultural features.
5.10. Other travel beauty spots around Trung Khanh
When traveling to Trung Khanh – Cao Bang, visitors not only enjoy extremely impressive and beautiful landscapes such as: Ban Gioc Waterfall, Nguom Ngao Cave, Khuoi Ky Stone Village,… but also have the opportunity to visit A series of other destinations in surrounding districts such as:
- Pac Bo relic site (Ha Quang)
- Nguom Puc Cave (Thach An)
- Thang Hen Lake (Tra Linh)
- Magic Eye Mountain (Tra Linh)
- Khau Coc Cha Pass (Bao Lac)
- Bao Lac Market (Bao Lac)
- Ban Giuong (Phuc Hoa)
- Lung Pan Bamboo Forest
- Xuan Truong Valley
- Phia Oac Mountain (Bao Lac)
6. Specialties in Trung Khanh
Besides the famous specialties in Cao Bang such as: roasted duck, roasted meat pho, young bees stir-fried with bamboo shoots, succulents, chicken or pork trotters stewed with chestnuts, five-color sticky rice, sour pho, agarwood fish, rice cake, and vermicelli. 8-color dried vegetables, Da Hien vegetables, Banh Khao, smoked meat, sausages,… then in Trung Khanh there are also their own specialties such as:
6.1. Bee sticky rice
Onion sticky rice (local name Khau Phang) is a famous specialty of Trung Khanh district, Cao Bang province. This specialty rice plant is grown mainly in the communes of Ngoc Con, Ngoc Khe, Phong Chau, Dinh Phong, Chi Vien… People in Trung Khanh still maintain the traditional method of harvesting bee sticky rice, cutting each rice flower, gathering them, tying them into small bundles and bringing them home. When cooked into sticky rice, bee sticky rice has a very delicious flavor and can be left from morning to night and still be flexible. In addition, bee sticky rice is also used to make cakes and offerings to ancestors and grandparents, especially during holidays and Tet.
6.2. Fried Tofu
Thong Hoa Market Street (Thong Khanh – Cao Bang) has long been known for many unique dishes, including the profession of making tofu. This dish is extremely popular but can be combined with many different types of food.
- Steaming hot beans eaten with soy sauce will make a difference.
- Beans cooked in meat soup with garlic leaves added and eaten hot are also very delicious.
- A traditional dish that in popular meals or when making feasts, people often stuff beans with meat.
6.3. Banh Khao
Banh Khao is one of Trung Khanh’s famous specialties that is loved by many people. The ingredients for making the cake are delicious, fragrant, round-grained sticky rice. The sugar used to make Banh Khao is usually diameter or crushed sugar. The filling has the nutty taste of peanuts, sesame, and the greasy taste of lard. When eating, we feel the sweetness of sugar and the rich aroma of glutinous rice flour.
6.4. Trung Khanh chestnuts
This is a specialty dish only available in Trung Khanh. The chestnuts here have a very attractive, nutty flavor. To enjoy this dish, you should go from September to October every year. The delicious taste of Trung Khanh chestnuts is very special, so when you come here, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy it.
6.5. Agarwood Fish
Another dish that you must know is to enjoy agarwood fish, a delicious fish that lives around Ban Gioc waterfall. The name of this fish originates from its habit of eating the roots and leaves of the agarwood tree, which is why the fish’s meat has a very unique smell of agarwood.
The most popular dish from agarwood fish is grilled, people will add spices to the fish’s belly and then wrap it in banana leaves and grill it. The attractive flavor of the dish will definitely make you admire it. Many restaurants in Chongqing district serve this fish dish, so you can find and enjoy it.
6.6. Trung Khanh Roast Duck Pho
You will not find roasted duck pho with a special flavor like in Chongqing, Cao Bang. The duck meat here is very richly marinated with the strong scent of mac mol leaves and when fried, very little oil is used so the duck meat is not greasy. Roast duck pho in Chongqing is very popular so you can easily find and enjoy it right in the town center.
7. Accommodations in Trung Khanh
Trung Khanh is a district with a very developed tourism industry, so when you come here you will have many options for accommodation such as hotels, homestays and affordable motels. Among them, homestay is the most developed and popular form of accommodation. You can refer to Origin Vietnam for accommodation below:
- Truong Giang Homestay Ban Gioc is located right on the road to Nguom Ngao cave in Dam Thuy commune, Trung Khanh.
- Khuoi Ky Homestay in Dam Thuy commune, Trung Khanh, Cao Bang.
- Minh Khang Homestay in Dam Thuy commune, Trung Khanh, Cao Bang.
- Hoang Cong Homestay is also in Dam Thuy commune, Trung Khanh, Cao Bang.
It’s worth a visit Trung Khanh
Above are all the outstanding tourist destinations as well as useful information in Trung Khanh district of Cao Bang province. Hopefully this article will let you know more about the tourist destinations in Trung Khanh for your convenience. Have a complete and memorable trip to Trung Khanh, Cao Bang.
If you are planning your trip to Trung Khanh – Cao Bang, please immediately contact Origin team – a professional Ban Gioc waterfall tour package organizer and operator, we will take you from one surprise to another during your trip. Journey to explore Trung Khanh with unforgettable memories.