To reach the top of Tay Con Linh, visitors will have to go through quite dangerous roads with many old forests and deep abysses on the journey to conquer this mountain peak. Tay Con Linh has a wild beauty with ancient forests full of green moss, cardamom, peach, pear forests and rare beautiful vegetation. Let’s explore this legendary mountain peak with Origin Vietnam.
1. Where is Tay Con Linh peak?
Tay Con Linh is a mountain peak considered the roof of the Northeastern mountains of Vietnam. Starting from the upstream of Chay River, the mountain range belongs to two districts, Hoang Su Phi and Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang province, Vietnam.
2. How is Tay Con Linh peak unique?
Tay Con Linh is at an altitude of 2419 meters with typical alpine terrain, the foothills are tropical and humid with the monsoon while the top of the mountain has a temperate alpine climate. The temperature gradually decreases with altitude, so the mountain top is always immersed in cold, fog and clouds hanging all around.
During the journey to conquer Tay Con Linh peak, visitors will be extremely surprised by the diverse vegetation here. Multi-layered tropical primeval forests, rare tree species, carpets of fallen yellow leaves, birds chirping throughout the mountains and forests… These are the things that create the beauty of Tay Con Linh, creating its strength. The appeal of this mist-covered mountain all year round.
3. When is the best time to travel to Tay Con Linh peak?
The most ideal time to conquer Tay Con Linh peak is from September to April of the following year. Because this is not only the season of ripe rice and blooming flowers. But also the time of spring festivals of mountainous people. Take note of the most brilliant times to not miss the opportunity to fully experience the beauty of this highland region.
September – October:
The climate is cool with an average temperature of 20 – 25 degrees Celsius, with little rain. This is the time when a series of terraced fields in Ha Giang in general are covered with the golden color of the ripe rice season, of which the most beautiful is the Hoang Su Phi area.
October – November:
If you are passionate about the beauty and buckwheat flower fields, what are you waiting for? Plan to come here from October to November.
January to Lunar New Year:
This is also the occasion for many of the most unique festivals of ethnic minorities here such as: Gau Tao Festival of the H’Mong people, Long Tong Festival of the Tay people, Lap Tinh Festival of the Dao people, etc… With a cold climate, this is also a suitable season to hunt clouds and snow.
February – April:
Spring from January to March is the season when Tay Con Linh – Vi Xuyen peak is filled with the colors of all kinds of flowers such as azalea flowers, white plum flowers, peach blossoms, pink flowers,…
4. How to get to Tay Con Linh peak?
There are many routes for Ha Giang tour guests to choose from when conquering Tay Con Linh. Of course, every road is quite steep and dangerous with many deep pools, passes and winding slopes. But that’s why Tay Con Linh attracts so many adventurous “trekkers”.
- Route 1: You will start from Ha Giang city and go about 20km up to Thanh Thuy border gate – Ha Giang’s largest border gate (in Vi Xuyen territory). At Thanh Thuy intersection, turn left onto provincial road DT197C and continue moving about 70 km. When you reach the intersection in the People’s Committee area of Tung San commune, turn left onto the unique road for about 10 km more to reach the foot of Tay Con Linh mountain.
- Route 2: Starting from Ha Giang city, follow Highway 2 about 26 km south, then reach the intersection of Vat market in Viet Lam commune, Vi Xuyen district, turn right and continue moving about 40 km more. At the Tung San Commune People’s Committee intersection, turn right onto the single road, go about 10 km more and you will reach the foot of Tay Con Linh mountain.
5. Sightseeings in Tay Con Linh peak
5.1 Ancient San Tuyet tea hill
On the journey to conquer Tay Con Linh, you will admire the ancient Shan Tuyet tea hills, sometimes up to hundreds of years old. This is a famous delicious tea of Ha Giang region, grown a lot in Hau Thao commune, Hoang Su Phi district.
Ancient tea trees with luxuriant branches are dozens of meters high. The tree stumps here are so big and shaggy that two people can’t hug them. Perhaps, because the climate is cool, covered with fog all year round and grown at an altitude of nearly 2000m, the tea here has a very fragrant and rich flavor that you will remember forever when you drink it.
If you come to Tay Con Linh during the tea harvest season, you will have the opportunity to see ethnic boys and girls on towering tea trees, with their hands quickly harvesting tender green tea buds. Early morning.
5.2 The terraced fields are enchanting
Coming to Ha Giang, of course you cannot miss the most famous and majestic terraced fields here. The journey to conquer Tay Con Linh is no exception. Joining the journey, visitors can freely admire the endless terraced fields in Ho Thau, Phung village, Thong Nguyen commune,…
Every season this place changes a new color. On spring days, this place shows off a lush green color, the color of young rice full of vitality. When autumn comes, there are bright, shiny yellow shirts and the passionate scent of new rice grains.
5.3 Great primeval forest
To reach Tay Con Linh peak, visitors must pass through the dense forests of the primeval forest. This place has very rich and diverse vegetation with many types of tropical plants and towering ancient trees. Mixed with many types of herbaceous leaves, reeds create a landscape that is both majestic, poetic, mysterious, and extremely interesting.
5.4 Legend of King La Chi Hoang Van Thung
For those who love mysterious stories and legends, this is also a place not to be missed. Especially on the journey to conquer Tay Con Linh, this is nothing more than a spice that makes the journey more interesting and thrilling.
The higher you go, the less populated it becomes. At an altitude of 2000m in Lung Cau village, Ban Thau commune, Hoang Su Phi district. There is a temple, at first glance it looks like a simple small stilt house, but this is the place to worship King La Chi Hoang Van Thung more than 500 years ago.
According to village elders, this king was buried with his property here. Then there are the ghostly stories tinged with legend. According to the elders in the village, those who intentionally violate the sacred temple will be punished, lost or driven crazy. Once a year, villagers come here to worship the king. During the ceremony, 8 shamans representing four families of the La Chi people came to worship.
6. Specialties when traveling to Tay Con Linh peak
When traveling to Tay Con Linh, visitors not only get to admire the wild and majestic mountains, immerse themselves in the fresh, cool atmosphere, but also have the opportunity to enjoy the region’s specialties. this land.
6.1 Smoked buffalo meat
Smoked buffalo meat is the traditional dish that makes up the brand of Ha Giang specialties. Smoked buffalo meat has a strong Thai culinary style. This is not only a daily dish of people living in the northern highlands but also often appears in festivals or offerings and as gifts for distinguished guests.
The taste of smoked buffalo meat is as its name suggests – spices marinated with spicy Mac Khen numb seeds, fresh and sweet buffalo meat and the typical smell of mountain smoke. The outside flesh is dark brown but the inside is eye-catching red and rich in flavor.
6.2. Sour pho
In the past, sour pho was a Chinese breakfast dish. Then it was introduced to Vietnam, especially in the northern mountainous regions such as Ha Giang, Lang Son, Bac Kan,… The main ingredients of sour pho are fragrant sticky rice and sweet and sour sauce combined with meat. Char siu, roasted meat, sausage and stir-fried chili.
To get the typical taste of sour pho, people often make sweet and sour sauce from a mixture of vinegar mixed with sugar, tapioca starch and mountain spices. When eating, visitors can eat it with fragrant basil, fresh garlic, grated papaya,… to fully enjoy Ha Giang specialties.
6.3. Smoked sausage
People here often make sausages and put them on the wood stove to preserve the meat longer. The main ingredient of smoked sausage is unwrapped pork shoulder. The sausage filling is made from minced tenderloin, lean shoulder or lean rump, marinated with spices – sauteed finely chopped onions and mac khen seeds.
Therefore, the meaty dish has a strong smell of kitchen smoke and a delicious aroma of Mac Khen. To produce the finished product, people have to smoke it continuously in the kitchen for 12 – 14 hours for the spices to penetrate the meat.
6.4. Buckwheat Cake
Buckwheat is famous as one of the symbolic flowers of the Northeast region of Ha Giang. Buckwheat cake therefore also became a specialty of this land.
You can find these cakes anywhere when you go to the local market. Not only is the typical color purple, buckwheat cakes also come in white, yellow,… in different colors.
When you put it in your mouth, you will feel the fatty taste of the soft and spongy cake along with the characteristic scent of buckwheat flowers. To fully enjoy the flavor of the cake, you can eat it with local Pork or Thang Co,…
7. Accommodation when traveling to Tay Con Linh
When traveling to Tay Con Linh, visitors can choose from the following accommodation facilities. Most of these accommodation establishments are concentrated in the town area to facilitate travel between tourist destinations for tourists.
- Monaco Hotel. Address: Group 5, Vi Xuyen Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Gia Long Hotel. Address: Km18 Vi Xuyen Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Huong Tra Hotel. Address: Km17, Dao Duc, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Doanh Chi Guesthouse. Address: Vi Xuyen Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Thu Hang Guest House. Address: Vi Xuyen Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Tra Hoa Vien Guesthouse. Address: Highway 2, Viet Lam, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Viet Lam Guesthouse. Address: Quang Ngan, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Golden Village Homestay. Address: Vi Xuyen Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Ban Len Homestay. Address: Thon Len Street, Viet Lam, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Cao Bo Homestay. Address: Team 1 Ban Dang, Cao Bo Commune, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Homestay Truong Thai. Address: Hoa Bac Village, Thuan Hoa Commune, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
- Tay homestay Viet Lam. Address: Group 9, Viet Lam Town, Vi Xuyen, Ha Giang.
8. Some important notes when conquering Tay Con Linh peak
- Preparing necessary items for the trekking journey such as climbing backpacks, crossbody bags, small backpacks that can be retracted during activities as well as deposit clean items at the drop-off point.
- In addition to clothes for a few days of climbing, don’t forget to bring a thick jacket and winter thermals because the temperature at an altitude of 2600m is very low.
- Bandana in the warm season or wool scarf in the cold season.
- Gloves, hats, toiletries, flip-flops or slippers, climbing shoes, insect repellent cream, phone, camera, spare batteries, charging equipment, etc.
- Especially don’t forget first aid supplies and medicine.
- You should also bring snacks, a knife or a multi-purpose tool in case you need it.
Tay Con Linh – a mountain with much beauty and mysterious stories waiting for you to discover. However, please prepare adequate protective equipment to keep yourself safe during the journey to conquer the roof of Northeast Vietnam.
To have the most complete adventure tour in Ha Giang to conquer Tay Con Linh peak, please immediately contact Origin Vietnam – a professional local expert for trekking adventure. With a team of consultants, tour operators and experienced and dedicated local guides. We will accompany every step of your journey to visit Ha Giang with unforgettable memories and wonderful experiences.