For those who seek beautiful, peaceful nature and want to escape the hustle and bustle of urban life, look no further. Sapa Lake is an ideal and enchanting destination in Sapa, Vietnam. From its calm waters to its breathtaking surroundings, this famous lake encapsulates the peaceful beauty and richness of local culture that have shaped it into one of the popular tourist destinations in Sapa. Let’s follow the Origin Vietnam team to discover this travel beauty.
1. Where is Sapa Lake?
Sapa Lake is like a sparkling gem located in the center of Sapa town. Built by local people to promote tourism, it is conveniently located between Ngu Chi Son, Pham Kim Dong and Xuan Vien routes. Currently, this is one of the top tourist attractions in Sapa.
2. History of Sapa Lake formation
In order to build this beautiful lake, local people had to go through an arduous and quite expensive process. The problem is the mountainous terrain with many caves. When people tried to block the dam body to retain water with cement, concrete, and mortar, all materials were washed away into caves.
To retain water, alluvial soil from the river is needed, and the Red River is not nearby. To have this land with beautiful landscape, people had to mobilize many buffaloes and ethnic youth to work day and night. After using soil to block the dam body, the lake was finally formed and has been preserved to this day. After that, people beautified the surrounding landscape, planted more trees and flowers. Also placed benches along the lakeside for visitors to rest while walking around the lake.
3. How is Sapa lake unique?
In the summer, Sapa Lake turns into a beautiful place like a watercolor painting with water hidden in mist and the reflection of sparkling lights at night. The peaceful atmosphere makes this an ideal place to enjoy a variety of street food in Sapa while admiring the stunning beauty of the lake, especially in the evening.
4. When is the best time to travel to Sapa Lake?
There are many times of the year when you can explore Sapa Lake, but to fully experience the beauty of this place, from September to April next year are the most wonderful and ideal times to visit.
During this time, Sapa Lake has a gentle beauty with mild air, warm sunlight during the day and a chilly climate in the evening.
5. How to get to Sapa Lake?
The distance from Lao Cai station to Sapa town center is about 35 km, it will take about 1 hour to travel. You can use means of transportation such as renting a taxi, motorbike or going by bus/coach to get to this beautiful town.
You depart from Lao Cai city center, follow Highway 4D about 35 km southwest to Sapa town. When coming here, you cannot miss Sapa Lake because the lake is located in a convenient location, in the center of town and right next to the main road into Sapa town.
6. Specialties when traveling to Sapa Lake
Cuisine in Sapa is famous for its delicious grilled dishes, each restaurant has its own recipe for marinating ingredients. Cardamom is an important spice in these preparations. Furthermore, you can enjoy typical dishes here such as: fresh salmon, sturgeon hotpot, fried stream fish, thang co, lam rice,… at many romantic restaurants near Sapa lake.
Here are some Sapa restaurants near Sapa Lake suggested for you:
- Hotpot Center – Address: 71 Xuan Vien, Sapa: This restaurant offers a cozy atmosphere and overlooks Sapa Lake. Must-try dishes here include: Sturgeon hotpot, salmon salad, grilled green pepper chicken and mountain goat hot pot.
- Am Thuc Mong – Address: 8 Xuan Vien, Sapa: This restaurant is famous for authentic cuisine of the H’Mong ethnic people. They serve a variety of dishes, including steamed pork, sticky rice, dried buffalo meat, sturgeon hotpot, and honey grilled chicken.
- Nam Khanh – Address: 6 Xuan Vien, Sapa: For a spacious and family-friendly dining experience, visit Nam Khanh. Here, you can enjoy the bright space and delicious dishes such as grilled sturgeon, mountain goat hotpot and traditional H’Mong specialties.
- Top Restaurant Sapa – Address: 63 Xuan Vien, Sapa: To enjoy the best sturgeon and salmon dishes of Sapa, go to Top Restaurant. They also offer other local specialties such as local pig, black chicken and thang co. This restaurant is the perfect place to host parties.
- BBQ Tra Phuong Quan – Address: 26 Ngu Chi Son, Sapa: BBQ Tra Phuong Quan is where you can taste the freshest, cleanest grilled dishes. With years of experience, they have perfected the recipe for delicious dishes in town.
- Tinh Quan Market – Address: 22 Ngu Chi Son, Sapa: Unique culinary experience at Tinh Quan Market with a design inspired by traditional stilt houses in Sapa. Here, you can enjoy specialties such as lemongrass salmon, fried salmon with oolong tea, sturgeon with tom yum sauce,…
7. Accommodation when traveling to Sapa Lake
Because Sapa town is one of the most famous destinations in Vietnam, you don’t have to worry about overnight accommodation when traveling here. Accommodation facilities are very diverse and rich in type, class and geographical location. Below are some accommodation facilities that you can refer to:
- Topas Ecolodge Sapa. Address: Thanh Kim, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- H’mong Sapa Hotel. Address: 27 Thac Bac, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- BB Sapa Hotel. Address: 8 Cau May Lane, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Sapa Eden Hotel. Address: 60 Fansipan, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Sapa Horizon Hotel. Address: 18 Pham Xuan Huan, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Sapa Elite Hotel. Address: 8 Hoang Dieu, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Tien Anh Guesthouse. Address: Pham Xuan Huan Street, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Truong Xuan Guesthouse. Address: Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Hoa Tra Guesthouse. Address: Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Thuy Nhung Guesthouse. Address: Ham Rong Street, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
- Viet Anh Guesthouse. Address: Ham Rong Street, Sa Pa Town, Sa Pa, Lao Cai.
8. Some other famous tourist destinations near Sapa Lake
- Sapa Square: This square is just a few steps from Sapa Lake and is the busiest market in town with many street vendors and traditional cultural activities. This is a great place to feel the local vibe and do your shopping.
- Sapa Stone Church: This is a beautiful stone church built by French missionaries in 1895 and not far south of Sapa Square. Many tourists come here to admire the beautiful architecture and take photos.
- Fansipan Cable Car Station: To enjoy the panoramic view of Sapa Fansipan mountain, visit Fansipan Cable Car Station, just a 15-minute drive from Sapa Lake. Here, you can admire incredible views of the mountains and valleys.
- Sapa Love Market: Sapa Central Square has a special market famous for its colorful cultural performances, which is Sapa Love Market. This event takes place every Saturday night and is a major tourist attraction among many attractive destinations in Sapa town.
Moreover, tourists can consider going further and visiting other famous places in Sapa such as: Seo My Ty Lake, Ta Phin Village, Cat Cat Village, Lao Chai Village, O Quy Ho Pass, Waterfall Silver Waterfall, Ham Rong Mountain, Hoang A Tuong Palace,…
Known for its poetic and peaceful landscape, along with delicious and unique cuisine. Sapa Lake is a beautiful place that you should not miss when traveling to Sapa. With a team of experienced and dedicated consultants, tour operators and local travel guides, Origin Vietnam – a professional local travel expert will accompany you on your Sapa tour with unforgettable experiences.