If people choose Ky Quan San peak because of its high difficulty, Ta Xua peak because of its magical moss forest, Nhiu Co San peak because of its majestic waterfall, then people choose Pu Ta Leng because it simply has… everything. A perfect mountain peak, pleasing even the most demanding climbers. Let’s explore the Pu Ta Leng trekking experience with Origin Vietnam now!
1. Where is Pu Ta Leng peak?
Located in the Hoang Lien Son range, Pu Ta Leng is located in Ta Leng commune, Tam Duong district, Lai Chau province. In the H’Mong language, this mountain is also known as Pu Ta Leng. The word “Pú” means mountain. Possessing an altitude of up to 3,049m, Pu Ta Leng is the 3rd highest mountain in Vietnam, only behind Fansipan and Pu Si Lung.
2. How is Pu Ta Leng peak unique?
Pu Ta Leng is the third highest mountain among the highest peaks in Vietnam. The cool streams and ancient mossy forests are probably brands that no mountain can compare to.
Travelling to Pu Ta Leng also means coming to unique specialties such as wild bamboo shoots, giant frog tadpoles,…all rustic dishes, rich in the flavor of the mountains and forests. Pu Ta Leng can be said to be the most typical mountain for the jungle terrain of Northern Vietnam.
You will experience a range of emotions throughout the journey. From the clear, gurgling streams, the dark bamboo forests, the towering rhododendron trees dropping down to a carpet of brilliant flowers, to the slopes that continuously exhaust the wearer.
Although the journey to conquer is a bit difficult, the reward you receive will be extremely attractive. The picture of a towering Pu Ta Leng that sometimes appears and disappears in the dense fog, along with the beautiful beauty of the azalea forest are scenes that you cannot find anywhere else in this northern high mountain region.
3. Which is the best season to conquer Pu Ta Leng peak?
In order to conquer any mountain peak, you should go on dry and sunny days. Thanks to that, we can admire and see the natural scenery to the fullest. Favorable weather also helps ensure everyone’s safety, especially when having to overcome winding and steep terrain like Pu Ta Leng.
- Don’t forget to check the forecast in advance or choose the appropriate seasons to have the perfect experience. From late April to May every year are considered the driest days. And coincidentally, this is also the time when Azalea flowers are starting to bloom, covering the entire Pu Ta Leng peak.
- Flowers cover the rocks, stretching along the steps you pass. The road to conquer Pu Ta Leng peak, which was already beautiful, is now even more poetic. So many people were amazed and ecstatic.
- Besides, if the purpose of your trip is to hunt for clouds on the roof of the third house of Indochina, then come here in November-December. However, at this time the weather is very cold. Don’t forget to prepare warm clothes and multi-purpose items to keep your body warm.
4. How to get to Pu Ta Leng peak?
Pu Ta Leng peak is located only about 5-7 km from Lai Chau city center, which will be quite convenient for transportation. You can travel by bus or motorbike:
From Hanoi, you can catch a bus at My Dinh and Yen Nghia bus stations and can refer to reputable bus companies such as Hai Van, Anh Tu or Hoang Anh bus company… to get to Lai Chau city. After arriving in Lai Chau city, you can rent a taxi or motorbike. From Lai Chau city center, you need to go to National Highway 4D, along the North direction to reach Ta Leng commune. You can ask people for directions to help you get to the foot of the mountain. From here, you meet your tour guide and begin the exciting journey to conquer Pu Ta Leng.
Riding a motorbike:
If you travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Lai Chau, you will have the opportunity to take many beautiful pictures with romantic scenery on both sides of the road. However, it will be quite tiring for those who do not have good health. From Hanoi, you depart from the inner city to Vo Chi Cong Street – Nhat Tan Bridge. You continue to follow DCT05 and enter Highway 4D of Ta Leng commune. From here, it only takes you about 30 minutes to reach the foot of the mountain. Don’t forget to use Google maps or ask people for directions if you have difficulty. Don’t hesitate, because the locals here are extremely enthusiastic and friendly.
5. Necessary items before starting the journey to conquer Pu Ta Leng peak
5.1. Preparing clothes
You should choose clothes with thick, elastic and comfortable materials so you can exercise and move without getting stuck. If you are trekking from December to March, the weather on the mountain is quite cold, so bring a few sweaters, life jackets, scarves, and hats. Also, don’t forget to prepare 1 or 2 pairs of gloves for climbing the forest path because there will be many sections where you have to hold on to vines or tree roots.
5.2. Nighttime equipments
You will definitely have to sleep on the mountain during your journey because the road is very busy so it is difficult to trek during the day. Prepare a tent, sleeping bag, heat shield, lighter, and matches to help you chop sticks for firewood or camp overnight.
5.3. Bringing food
Climbing journeys require a variety of nutritious foods and physical recovery. Some types of fast food such as bread, sweets, and energy drinks to eat along the way. Filling foods (rice, sticky rice, meat, chicken…) for main meals or cooking while camping.
5.4. Basic medicines
There are often many types of insects in the mountains, so to avoid malaria or skin wounds, you should prepare basic medicines, a first aid box and bandages to treat wounds when needed.
6. Careful preparation before conquering Pu Ta Leng peak
6.1. Applying for a climbing permit to Pu Ta Leng mountain
Last year, the People’s Committee of Tam Duong district, Lai Chau province issued a notice prohibiting climbing Mount Pu Ta Leng if the climbing group has not been licensed. Therefore, if you do not want to encounter rangers or border guards, you should declare before starting your trekking journey.
You only need to bring your ID card, a letter of introduction from the locality you live in, a declaration of address, and information to the Border Guard Command of Lai Chau province to complete the climbing permit procedures and you can begin your trek. your experience.
6.2. Finding local guides and porters
Pu Ta Leng is a quite large area, so if you don’t have a guide, you will definitely get lost while trekking. In Ta Leng village, there are many local people doing this work.
6.3. Physical and psychological health
Pu Ta Leng is a very difficult mountain to conquer. Therefore, according to Origin Vietnam’s experience conquering Mount Pu Ta Leng, you should prepare a very flexible body.
With strong and healthy legs, you can overcome this ultimate challenge. Suggested some exercises you can practice at home 1 month before trekking, such as climbing stairs, squatting, walking, jogging…
Besides, don’t put pressure on yourself. Be comfortable, always happy and in a cheerful spirit so that your trip will always have new joy.
6.4. Before departing
Check the weather for a fun trip. Or promptly make wise decisions. For example, canceling the trip due to rain, flooding or landslides… Such situations caused by natural disasters will be extremely dangerous. Therefore, you absolutely should not take risks.
Contact Porter, tour guide or tour booking agent to update the latest information about the trip. Like meeting time, meeting point… are there any mistakes?
6.5. Necessary luggage
Personal belongings include:
Towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash… Because on the journey there are still places for you to clean yourself and need the above items.
Identification documents and money (just a little). Remember to carefully wrap the 2 items in a plastic bag and store them deep at the bottom of the backpack to avoid falling or losing them.
- Attire: You should bring clothes that absorb sweat well. Bring some warm clothes, wool scarves… because in the mountains, the temperature drops very low.
- Trekking backpack: To hold all the items you bring along on the way to conquer Pu Ta Leng.
- Trekking shoes: The journey passes through many streams, you should be equipped with waterproof shoes. Origin Vietnam’s experience in conquering Mount Pu Ta Leng says that you should not wrap your shoes in plastic bags. Because crossing the stream will be very slippery and easy to fall.
- Socks: Bring along to change into wet feet.
- Food + drinking water: Should bring just enough.
- In addition, you need a tent/sleeping bag, first aid equipment, etc. Especially special medicines and insect prevention.
7. Some important notes when conquering Pu Ta Leng peak
It can be seen that Pu Ta Leng is a beautiful mountain. But if you want to successfully and completely conquer this mountain, according to Origin Vietnam’s experience conquering Mount Pu Ta Leng, you should not ignore some important notes as follows:
- Pu Ta Leng has a height among the Top 3 in Vietnam. Therefore, the higher you go, the lower the temperature becomes and it becomes very cold. Therefore, you need to prepare enough warm clothes…
- It is necessary to ask permission from the People’s Committee of Tam Duong district, Lai Chau before going trekking.
- Only bring enough water to use. Because the road is quite difficult, carrying a lot will be very tiring. Instead, you can take advantage of water filters and collect water from streams. Or take advantage of activated carbon.
- Absolutely do not be engrossed in taking pictures or living virtual lives with beautiful scenery that will affect the trip. Or far away, lost in a group. That is very dangerous.
- Do not litter indiscriminately. Let the wild beauty of Pu Ta Leng last forever.
It is no coincidence that Pu Ta Leng is known as a paradise for dreamy, adventurous trekkers to conquer and explore. The reason is because this mountain is wild, majestic and poetically beautiful but also full of challenges.
If you are planning tour in Vietnam to conquer Pu Ta Leng peak, immediately contact us – a professional tour operator. With a team of consultants, tour operators and local guides who are experienced, dedicated and have a deep understanding of this land, we will take you on a journey to conquer Pu Ta Leng peak full of exciting challenges. taste and retain unforgettable experiences.