Not only known as the heroic historical land of the Vietnamese people, Luc Yen also has many beautiful natural landscapes that are becoming an attractive destination for many tourists. Let’s explore this magical land with Origin Vietnam travel team.
1. Where is Luc Yen?
Luc Yen is a mountainous district in northern Vietnam in Yen Bai province, about 70 km from Yen Bai city and about 240 km northwest of Hanoi capital. Geographically located:
- The North borders Quang Binh district, Ha Giang province.
- The West borders Bao Yen district, Lao Cai province.
- The South borders Van Yen district and Yen Binh district.
- The East borders Ham Yen district, Tuyen Quang province.
2. How is Luc Yen unique?
Luc Yen land is divided by two main mountain ranges, creating a diverse terrain with mountain ranges, valleys and small streams. The district also has the Chay River passing through with a length of 65 km. Having both mountains and rivers, and a cool climate with temperatures ranging from 22 – 24 degrees Celsius, this has helped Luc Yen become an ideal destination for those who want to travel to Yen Bai.
Like many other lands of Northwest Vietnam, Luc Yen is also blessed with majestic and poetic mountain and forest scenery. With 18 ethnic groups living together with revolutionary historical relics. In addition, this land is also known as the Pearl land with many types of gems that have created uniqueness and diversity in Yen Bai culture and tourism.
In particular, Luc Yen has promoted investment and formed a variety of tourism products, including community tourism and festivals organized to preserve traditional cultural identity. Thanks to that, many tourists come here to experience and understand more about the Tay, Dao,… living in Luc Yen.
3. When is the best time to travel to Luc Yen?
Luc Yen – the land of four seasons with distinctive beauty. The best time to travel to Luc Yen depends on each person’s personal preferences, such as some people choosing the right time to explore festivals, sightseeing or go on vacation,… However, According to Yen Bai travel experience, the ideal time to travel to Luc Yen is from September to April of the following year. You can also refer to other times:
- From January to March, this time is for those who like to explore the festive season. This season there are many unique and interesting spring festivals, with many entertainment activities organized such as tug of war, pound throwing or horse racing,…
- In the summer from April to June is the season of pouring water, the rain begins to pour down on the mountains, flooding the terraced fields, the rays of sunlight shine through and make the water surface sparkle like a giant mirror in the bright afternoon sunlight.
- From September to October, this period is considered the most beautiful time in Yen Bai because this is the season of ripe rice. The weather at this time is extremely pleasant, the golden sunlight shines everywhere, shining down on the strangely shimmering, golden fields.
- At the end of the year starting from November to December, this is a suitable time for tourists who like climbing mountains to hunt for clouds, sitting on the mountain with the chilly feeling of the early cold days of winter. Watching the mountains and forests submerged in a sea of drifting clouds looks so majestic and romantic.
Note: When traveling in the summer, from May to August, visitors need to consider and carefully review the weather forecast before departure. Because the rainy season here often causes landslides and floods, endangering tourists’ travel journeys.
4. How to get to Luc Yen?
4.1 Traveling from Hanoi to Yen Bai
Below are 3 routes from Hanoi to Yen Bai that people can refer to:
- Route 1: Starting from the capital Hanoi, people move to the Thang Long bridge area. Then, you run along National Highway 2 to Vinh Yen city in Vinh Phuc province. Next, people move through Viet Tri city of Phu Tho and will reach Yen Bai province. According to the experience of the Travel Guide from Hanoi to Yen Bai, backpackers can wander through this route by motorbike or car.
- Route 2: People still depart from the inner city center and move through the Thang Long bridge area. Then, you turn onto the highway toward Noi Bai – Lao Cai, to the section From Hanoi to Km 121 + 300, there will be a turn to Yen Bai bridge. At this point, you only need to move about 3 km more to reach Yen Bai city. However, this road is only for cars with a maximum speed of 100km/h, minimum speed of 60km/h.
- Route 3: From the central area of Hanoi, people go straight along Thang Long Avenue. Then, turn right onto Highway 21 to Son Tay. Next, you will take turns running through places such as Ba Vi, Trung Ha bridge and Phong Chau bridge. Next, everyone will turn across the road at Cam Khe and Ha Hoa in Phu Tho province. Finally, travelers continue to travel through Road 32C along the Red River to reach Yen Bai city. With this route, you have to travel about 170 km by car or motorbike.
4.2 From Yen Bai city to Luc Yen
From Yen Bai city, you depart along Highway 37 to the Northeast about 7 km, then meet the intersection with Highway 70, turn left onto Highway 70 and continue moving on this road about 63 km to the Northwest. is to Luc Yen territory.
5. Sightseeings & things to do in Luc Yen
5.1 Khai Trung green plateau
If you are a nature lover and want to enjoy the fresh scenery, come to the green plain of Khai Trung. This is a tourist resort destination associated with the culture of the Tay ethnic people here.
This tourist area has an area of up to 15 hectares, located at an altitude of about 700 meters above sea level, so the climate is always cool and pleasant. This place has a flower valley filled with colors, growing many beautiful flowers such as sunflowers, hyssop, azalea,… blooming all year round. Besides, there are many impressive miniatures for visitors to take selfies.
5.2 Luc Yen gem market
The market is simple and rustic but is more than 30 years old. The products at the market are very diverse, some products only range from 2 dollars, but there are still stones worth up to tens, hundreds of thousands of dollars. Besides rough stones, you can buy stones that have been honed into extremely artistic works. The special thing about this gem market is that the sellers are only women.
5.3 Tham Duong Cave
Tham Duong Cave is considered a masterpiece of mother nature, with both historical and scientific value. With an altitude of 1000m above sea level, the geology was formed over hundreds of millions of years, the traces of nature are extremely great, making tourists coming here always amazed.
5.4 Dai Cai Temple
If you are passionate about archaeological relics, Dai Cai Temple is your dream destination. Dai Cai Temple is very beautiful, built of four-iron wood according to the Dinh-style design. Although built with rare wood materials, the architectural art is very simple, yet still exudes majesty.
5.4 Na Ken Waterfall
Na Ken Waterfall has a graceful and soft beauty like an ethnic Thai girl. The waterfall has a height of about 35m. In the hot summer, there is nothing better than soaking in the fresh, cool green water. There’s nothing better than relaxing in a wonderful space while enjoying Northwest specialties.
5.5 Khai Trung Cave
After having fun in Khai Trung Plain, visitors can continue to go another 2 km to reach Khai Trung cave. Inside this cave is an extremely splendid stalactite system with full shapes and sparkling colors that are extremely beautiful and impressive. Every corner in the cave is beautiful for you to take quality photos.
5.6 Nam Chan Stream
Nam Chan Stream is located in Lam Thuong commune, Luc Yen district. This is a very popular destination in recent years thanks to its wild scenery and clear blue and cool spring water. On hot days, just immersing yourself in the water will feel extremely comfortable and refreshing.
Although Nam Chan Stream is not too big, the water color is clear, surrounded by green trees and mountains. Coming here to sit by the stream and breathe fresh air is enough to make you feel more comfortable. In addition, you can also bathe in the stream or take virtual photos.
6. Specialties when traveling to Luc Yen
When traveling to Luc Yen, visitors not only admire the wild and majestic natural beauty. But also have the opportunity to enjoy the specialties of this beautiful land.
6.1 Smoked buffalo meat
The smoked buffalo meat dish of ethnic minorities here is highly appreciated by many people for its rich flavor. On the outside, the meat seems a bit hard and dark, but when torn, it is moderately soft, with a fiery pink color that carries the smell of kitchen smoke. Smoked buffalo meat is also easy to preserve so it can be used for a long time, and many people choose to buy it as gifts for relatives and family.
6.2 Stir-fried bee pupae
The unique dish of stir-fried bee pupae with mosquito nets is a unique Yen Bai specialty that is only available around April – August when wild bees are in their breeding season. To prepare this delicious dish properly, the chef must keep the bee intact, have a bright yellow color and the mosquito must have a fresh green color. Lime leaves and added spices will bring the typical flavor of the Northwest mountains.
6.3 Grilled chicken with mac mat leaves
After marinating a whole chicken with spices and mac mat leaves, grill it over charcoal to create an impressively delicious specialty. The naturally sweet and chewy chicken meat, combined with the sweet and sour mac mol leaves, will bring a wonderful flavor. There’s nothing better than grilled chicken with mac bile served with “cham diagonal” (a dipping dish that combines blood, chicken liver, chili garlic and mac khen fruit).
6.4 Fried crickets
Crickets have a high nutritional content and a rather scary appearance, making many diners somewhat “shy”. In Yen Bai, chefs specialize in preparing fried crickets as a delicacy. They meticulously remove the legs, extract the intestines, and discard the stinky bag from the nape before washing the crickets with sour bamboo shoots or boiling water. The chefs then marinate the crickets with a blend of rich spices, including fish sauce, onion, garlic, chili, and pepper. Then, when frying, we only need to add a small amount of oil because the crickets themselves have quite a lot of oil. Be careful not to stir too much when frying, as this will break the cricket’s claws and body.
6.5 Black banh chung (black sticky rice)
Coming to this land, we definitely should not miss the opportunity to enjoy this unique Yen Bai specialty and buy it as a gift. Banh chung, a traditional Thai specialty, is often offered every Tet holiday. The black color of the cake is taken from the stem of the nuc tree or black sesame flower, and the sticky rice used is the famous Tu Le sticky rice.
6.6 Five-color sticky rice
This is a delicious specialty dish prepared using the technique of steaming sticky rice, creating a delicate color. Five-color sticky rice includes 5 colors: white, yellow, blue, red and purple taken from the natural colors of vegetables and leaves from nature. The story behind this color symbolizes the five elements and the three-talented philosophy of the Vietnamese people.
7. Accommodation when traveling to Luc Yen
When traveling to Luc Yen, visitors can refer to some of the accommodation facilities below. Most accommodation establishments are located in the center of town, which makes it convenient to move between tourist destinations. Furthermore, visitors can also enjoy the amenities that these accommodation establishments provide.
- Anh Nguyet Hotel. Address: 479 Nguyen Tat Thanh, Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Viet Hotel. Address: 399 Nguyen Tat Thanh, Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Hong Ngoc Hotel. Address: 34 Ly Tu Trong, Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Golden Sunshine Hotel. Address: 379 Nguyen Tat Thanh, Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Anh Duong Hotel. Address: 18 Ly Tu Trong, Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Nham Nhung Guesthouse. Address: Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Lan Phuong Guesthouse. Address: Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Nam Son Guesthouse. Address: Yen The Town, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- An Khanh Guesthouse. Address: Village 8, Khanh Hoa commune, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
- Hong Son Guesthouse. Address: Village 2, Tan Linh commune, Luc Yen, Yen Bai.
The wild beauty of the highland mountains and forests cannot be denied. But it is filled with rustic, simple, strangely peaceful features of both nature and the people living here. Coming to this land of Luc Yen, visitors will not only see the wildness and majesty of the natural landscape. Also the closeness and friendliness of the indigenous people, promising to bring wonderful travel experiences and most memorable.
If you are planning your trip to Luc Yen, don’t hesitate any longer and contact Origin Vietnam – a professional tour organizer in Vietnam. With a team of consultants, tour operators, and experienced and dedicated local guides, we will accompany you on your journey to discover the Yen Bai tour with sublime emotions and unforgettable experiences.