Hoa Binh – Vietnam is a land blessed by Mother Nature with a series of scenic spots. From the vast green forests to the majestic Da River and colorful culture. The local people are friendly and hospitable. The original wild features of the system of caves, waterfalls and rocks created by nature are extremely unique. Uncover Hoa Binh’s hidden gems by joining the Origin Travel team today.
1. Where is Hoa Binh?
Hoa Binh is a mountainous province in the Northwest of Vietnam, about 70 km southwest of Hanoi capital. With geographical location:
- The North borders Phu Tho province
- The East borders Ha Nam province, Ninh Binh province and the capital Hanoi
- The West borders Son La province
- The South borders Thanh Hoa province.
2. How is Hoa Binh unique?
When traveling to Hoa Binh, you will admire the magical natural masterpieces with your own eyes. Hoa Binh is famous for its vast green forests and the original wildness of the system of caves, waterfalls and rocky beaches created by nature, which is extremely unique.
With the geographical advantage near Hanoi, Hoa Binh tourist destinations are always the top choice for picnics and outdoor camping to help tourists dispel worries and the chaos of everyday life.
In particular, this is a land considered the cradle of Muong culture with countless undiscovered strange things. Thai and Muong villages still preserve and promote unique traditional cultural features in simple daily life through: festivals, customs, practices, beliefs,…
3. When is the best time to travel to Hoa Binh?
With a large area and many scenic spots, visitors can come to Hoa Binh in any season with different experiences. Normally, tourists often travel to Hoa Binh in the summer because the weather in many destinations such as Mai Chau and Thung Nai is cool and fresh.
Besides, Hoa Binh’s climate is typical of the tropical monsoon region. Winter is often cold, summer is high temperature, and it rains a lot from July to August. This location is quite close to Hanoi, so short trips on weekends or free time are still very suitable.
Some suggested times you can choose are:
- Spring: The scenery here attracts tourists because of the abundant flowers in Lung Van and the mist that covers the houses along the mountainside.
- Summer: The beautiful terraced fields in Lac village – Mai Chau will be a great destination to help you “escape” from the heat and noise of the city.
- Winter: The hot mineral pool in Kim Boi will be extremely ideal for a warm getaway at the end of the year.
4. How to get to Hoa Binh?
4.1. From Hanoi to Hoa Binh
Depending on each stop, the Hanoi – Hoa Binh journey will be about 80 km – 140 km long with beautiful roads, quite easy to travel.
By private vehicles:
- Hoa Binh is not too far away from Hanoi, so it is most convenient to come by personal vehicle.
- From the center of Hanoi, you move along Thang Long Avenue if your vehicle is a car, then go to National Highway 21 and go through Xuan Mai to arrive.
- If traveling by motorbike, you should start in the direction of Nguyen Trai and then along National Highway 6 will be closer.
By public transport:
- You can catch passenger buses from bus stations: Giap Bat, Yen Nghia, My Dinh in Hanoi to move to Hoa Binh. If you depart late, you can take the Dien Bien and Son La buses. Because these bus routes all go through Hoa Binh.
- You can also go to Thung Nai, stop in the city then catch a motorbike taxi or taxi. If you want to go to Mai Chau, stop at Tong Dau intersection.
- Limousine: This vehicle moves quite quickly and conveniently. You can take service car companies or the car of the hotel or resort where you will stay. The pick-up and drop-off location is right at your door so you don’t need to take many buses.
4.2. Moving within Hoa Binh
There are few options for public transportation or taxis here, so traveling by motorbike will be the most suitable choice. Comfortable in your schedule, you can visit as you like and at an affordable price. There are some very reputable motorbike rental addresses in Hoa Binh city.
5. Sightseeings & things to do in Hoa Binh
5.1. Da Bac Cave
Da Bac Cave is one of the most interesting tourist destinations in Hoa Binh. From Hoa Binh city, you need to travel about 50 km more to reach this location.
Da Bac Cave is also known as “Fairy Cave”. The cave has a total length of more than 70 m with a height of 2 m, so you can easily see the scenery inside the cave from the door. Inside the cave, lights are arranged, highlighting the beauty of the rocks and stalactites with different unique shapes.
5.2. Thang Thien Waterfall
If you are looking for a selfie location in Hoa Binh with majestic natural scenery, Thang Thien waterfall is the most suitable destination.
The waterfall is surrounded by green forest with rich vegetation. The highlight of the waterfall is the cool, turquoise water that makes visitors fascinated every time they arrive in the area of the waterfall. Not only that, the air around the stream also gives us a pleasant and refreshing feeling, dispelling everyday worries.
5.3. Hoa Binh hydroelectric reservoir
Hoa Binh hydroelectric lake is known as the largest artificial lake in Southeast Asia with a length of up to 70 km, spanning more than 17 communes in 5 neighboring districts of Hoa Binh. The Lake has a huge capacity and possesses 47 large and small islands.
The scenery inside the lake looks like an oil painting with many mysterious colors. The pristine but extremely poetic beauty of the hydroelectric lake makes this place attract many tourists to choose as their favorite destination every time they arrive in Hoa Binh.
Currently, there are many islands in the lake area that have been invested in, renovated and developed into high-class ecological areas. Such as Green Island, Coconut Island or Coi Xay Gio Guest House.
5.4. Tien Phi Cave
Located on Thung Phi hill, Gai hamlet of Hoa Binh City, Tien Phi Cave possesses a strip of stalactites that look like the silhouette of a Fairy in a flying posture, very beautiful. Thanks to that magical beauty, this place was named Tien Phi cave.
On the journey to the cave, you will see the intertwined foliage of Poinciana trees, eucalyptus trees or green bamboo foliage. When entering the cave, you will immediately see the dark yellow ground, high rocky arches with colorful stalactites.
After a series of surprises at the beauty of the cave, you will see a large, semi-circular shaped fairy well with clear water. The beauty at Tien Phi Cave is like a masterpiece that makes many tourists captivated and linger forever.
5.5. Kim Boi Mineral Spring Tourist Area
Many tourists love this Hoa Binh tourist destination for its clear, natural mineral water source. The temperature at this mineral spring usually stays between 34 and 36 degrees Celsius. Soak in the hot water when you come here, because the mineral water will help you treat arthritis, intestinal, stomach, and blood pressure diseases. …
Not only attractive with its unique underground mineral stream, this Hoa Binh tourist destination also has a mineral mud bath service that is extremely good for your health, fun activities, entertainment and many attractive dishes waiting for you.
5.6. Dong Thech ancient tomb site
Located about 24 km from Hoa Binh city center, it will take you about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Dong Thech ancient tomb site. You can save time and be more proactive in traveling by renting a motorbike.
Dong Thech ancient tomb is the resting place of the Dinh family for many generations. Surrounding the grave site are small hills. The most prominent feature of this Hoa Binh tourist destination is the tomb of Chieu Dong – a general who helped King Le Trung Hung fight the enemy in the past.
5.6. Thung Khe Pass
Do you want to see the whole scenery of Mai Chau? Don’t forget to visit Hoa Binh tourist destination – Thung Khe pass. This is a favorite place for tour groups.
When you walk on this road, you will satisfy your passion for backpacking with winding curves that challenge the driver. Because the mountainous terrain is characterized by relatively steep slopes, remember to drive at a moderate speed and pay attention to safety.
Stopping at the pass, you think you are lost in Europe’s scenery. You can freely see the green of the rice fields far away. This feeling of peace and freshness is hard to find anywhere else.
5.8. Ban Lac tourist area
Fall is a great time for tourists to set foot in the Ban Lac tourist area and immerse themselves in the poetic beauty of the Northwest mountains. Clouds are floating across the horizon or watching flowers bloom in the sky create many interesting colors.
The roads around the village have been rebuilt to be extremely clean and spacious. Surrounding the village is the peaceful beauty of the village’s bamboo ramparts and 2m high stilt houses, typical of the Thai ethnic people.
The most wonderful activity is the feeling of cycling around the village, looking at the green rice fields, listening to the clearest sound of the gurgling stream. Rent yourself a traditional Thai outfit and take beautiful photos to mark this trip.
5.9. Thung Nai
Possessing a unique terrain located in the middle of Hoa Binh Lake, Thung Nai is considered “Ha Long Bay on the mountain”. With a charming landscape, clear blue water reflecting the clouds and interesting scattered limestone mountains.
If you have the opportunity to return to Thung Nai during your travel itinerary, do not miss the opportunity to sit on a bamboo boat weaving through the rocky islands in the middle of the lake. The moment of sitting on a boat floating in the middle of the waves, listening to the swaying wind, rustling leaves and facing the majestic natural scenery will definitely be a medicine to help you recharge your energy.
5.10. Mo Luong Cave
About 60 km from the center of Hoa Binh, your journey to explore Muong will become more interesting when visiting Mo Luong cave for an excursion. This is the cave associated with the Thai people’s legend of snakes turning into dragons.
Mo Luong Cave is a complex of four caves with each cave possessing its own unique beauty. Coming to Mo Luong cave during your Hoa Binh travel itinerary, you will admire the shimmering and mysterious beauty that Mother Nature bestows on this cave complex.
5.11. Mai Chau Valley
Located in the heart of the valley, Mai Chau is considered a gift of nature to this land. With a picture of peace and rolling mountains, the house weaves its way between green upland fields fragrant with the smell of new rice.
During your Hoa Binh travel itinerary, if you have the opportunity to go to Mai Chau valley in the fall days, you will see the space here as bright with attractive golden rice fields. On the contrary, in the last days of winter and early spring, the space in Mai Chau seems to be full of life with forests of peach blossoms, banyan flowers, and plum blossoms blooming, welcoming a new year.
Coming to Mai Chau valley, you will admire the stilt houses of highland ethnic people scattered throughout the valley. Among them, Pom Coong village and Nhot village with typical cultural beauty of the Thai people will definitely help you discover many interesting things in Mai Chau here.
5.12. Thac Bo Cave
It belongs to the Thac Bo Lord relic complex, an ideal stopping place on a Hoa Binh tour that is known to many people. Thac Bo Cave attracts the attention of many tourists thanks to its beautiful natural landscape.
During the journey to visit the famous Thac Bo Temple, visitors will be able to explore the beautiful Thac Bo cave located right in the middle of charming mountain scenery. Surely this will be an extremely attractive tourist destination that you definitely should not miss.
5.13. Lung Van
Lung Van is always mentioned as the beautiful and vast “roof of the Muong land”. It’s located only about 40 km from the center of Hoa Binh city, is an extremely prominent tourist destination with majestic and beautiful natural scenery that fascinates many people.
Although still quite sparse, with little human presence, the natural scenery here does not become desolate. On the contrary, if you have the opportunity to visit Lung Van, you will feel extremely peaceful and comfortable, admiring the beautiful natural scenery that will make you love this small land even more.
5.14. Muong Cultural Space Museum
Muong Cultural Space Museum is a typical artistic work of Hoa Binh. This work originated from the inspiration of an extremely talented young artist. With his strong desire, he recreated the living space of the Muong people extremely realistically.
Muong Cultural Space Museum is only 2 hectares. But really makes tourists traveling to Hoa Binh overwhelmed by its impressive architecture and diverse scenery. This museum has most completely recreated the typical customs and cultural features of the Muong people living here. And if you have the opportunity to travel to Hoa Binh, try once to visit this extremely hot tourist destination.
5.15. Pom Coong village
Considered one of the beautiful Hoa Binh tourist destinations that attracts the attention of many tourists, Pom Coong village immerses visitors in its beautiful natural scenery and introduces them to the unique culture of the local people. The unique stilt houses that make Pom Coong village unique will immediately attract you.
6. Specialties when traveling to Hoa Binh
When traveling to Hoa Binh, visitors will not only admire the majestic and poetic natural scenery, but you will also have the opportunity to enjoy the specialties in Vietnam come from this beautiful land.
- Grilled fish: Fish as small as 2 fingers are caught in the Da River. After cleaning, grill the bamboo sticks, sprinkle with salt, wrap in banana leaves and grill again.
- Local Pig: Pigs are raised on the hills so they have a naturally sweet and fragrant taste. After processing, the pork is presented on a leafy tray with all sorts of delicious dishes and wild vegetables that look extremely eye-catching.
- Thung Nai Chicken: Soft and fragrant chicken, best grilled over charcoal with golden skin.
- Lam rice, colorful sticky rice: Made from upland sticky rice with eye-catching colors from the colors of forest leaves. Sticky sticky rice eaten with sesame salt or peanut salt is irresistibly delicious.
- Mixed wild vegetables: Steaming and dipping vegetable dishes, wild leaves, and medicinal herbs such as banana flowers, stinging nettle, spotted vegetables, in fish broth creates a unique and delicious flavor that is hard to describe.
- Bitter bamboo shoots: When you come here, remember to enjoy the bitter bamboo shoots that people take from the forest. You can buy fresh bamboo shoots to stir-fry, sour bamboo shoots, or dried bamboo shoots, all of which are quite delicious.
- Buffalo meat cooked in Lom leaves: This is a popular dish of the Muong ethnic people. The tender buffalo meat is soaked in spices and the sourness of the Lom leaves. Anyone who eats it once is guaranteed to be immediately fascinated.
- Rau Dau Grilled Vegetables: Rau Dau is a medicinal herb that is difficult to grow and hard to find, so this is a rare cool and nutritious dish of the Muong people that not everyone gets to enjoy.
- Uoi cake: an indispensable cake in the Tet feast of the Muong people, expressing love and solidarity.
6.2. Specialties as gifts
- Can wine: Wine made from famous leaf yeast of the Muong people is a famous specialty that you should buy as a gift. Can wine and friends gather together to enjoy the smooth, sweet and ecstatic sweetness.
- Ky Son red kumquat: Going along Highway 6 from Dan Hoa commune to Dan Ha commune in July, there will be countless shops. The kumquats here are thick, sweet and fragrant, so anyone who buys them to eat and give as gifts will be delighted.
- Cao Phong orange: A famous specialty that everyone knows. Oranges that are round, sweet and of guaranteed quality are most often bought as gifts by tourists when coming to Hoa Binh.
- Tan Lac red grapefruit: Round fruit, yellow skin, bright red segments. When eaten, it has a characteristic sweet taste and is quite succulent.
- Lac Son honey: Mixed honey with a characteristic yellow color. Natural forest honey should ensure quality and can be preserved for a long time.
- Shan Tuyet Pa Co tea: Tea is harvested from hundreds of years old trees naturally, without chemicals. The brewed tea has a very beautiful color and is mildly acrid, so connoisseurs can smell the quality just by smelling it.
7. Accommodation when traveling to Hoa Binh
Besides choosing the above places to visit and have fun, choosing a hotel in Hoa Binh that suits your needs and budget will also make an important contribution to making your trip to Hoa Binh complete. more complete.
Visitors can refer to some accommodation facilities below:
7.1 High-class resort
If you want a complete vacation, choose high-end resorts for a true wellness retreat. The beautiful resorts in Hoa Binh are world-class, modern, comfortable and combined with bold indigenous architecture for an impressive vacation.
- Mai Chau Ecolodge. Address: Na Thia village, Na Phon, Mai Chau, Hoa Binh.
- Serena Resort Kim Boi. Address: Khai Doi hamlet, Sao Bay commune, Kim Boi district, Hoa Binh province.
- Avana Retreat. Address: Panh village, Bao La commune, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh province.
- Mai Chau Hideaway Hoa Binh. Address: Tan Mai, Mai Chau, Hoa Binh.
7.2. Hotels and motels:
- Sakura Hotel Hoa Binh. Address: 4, Le Thanh Tong Street, Tan Thinh, Hoa Binh.
- Hoa Dao Hotel. Address: Le Thanh Tong Street, Group 5, Tan Thinh Ward, Hoa Binh.
- Grand Hotel – Diamond Palace. Address: Le Thanh Tong Street, Tan Thinh, Hoa Binh City, Hoa Binh.
- SOJO Hotel Hoa Binh. Address: 112 Le Thanh Tong, Tan Thinh, Hoa Binh.
If you are a person who loves to explore, choosing local Homestays will give you the opportunity to learn more deeply about Muong culture.
- Hiep Huan Stilt House. Address: Chieng Chau commune, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh.
- Muong Retreat. Address: 202 Tay Tien, Thai Binh, Hoa Binh.
- Mai Chau Countryside Homestay. Address: No. 30 Pom Coong, TT. Mai Chau, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh province.
- Farmstay Nonego. Address: Chanh hamlet, commune, Luong Son, Hoa Binh.
- Thao Ly Homestay Mai Chau. Address: Ban Nhot, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh, Hoa Binh.
- Mai Chau Green Ecohouse. Address: 185 Ban Lac, Mai Chau, Hoa Binh.
- Linh Soi Homestay. Address: Lac village, Chieng Chau commune, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh.
8. Some important notes when traveling to Hoa Binh
- Hoa Binh’s terrain is mainly mountainous and steep, so you should wear sports shoes and low-heeled shoes for ease of movement.
- When experiencing outdoor activities such as trekking, climbing passes, wading streams, follow the instructions of a local tour guide or local people. Absolutely do not separate from the group to move on your own, it is extremely dangerous.
- When experiencing kayaking or boating around the lake, always wear enough life jackets to ensure safety.
- On weekends and holidays, you should book a room in advance to avoid not being able to find a suitable room.
- In addition to basic medicines, bring insect repellent such as mosquito repellent, etc. when experiencing this.
- Bring your identification documents in necessary cases and carry cash to pay for retail services in case phone signal interruptions affect other online payment methods.
The mountainous region of Hoa Binh still hides many wild beauties, which can make tourists who are passionate about exploring captivated at first sight. With a complete set of Hoa Binh travel experiences from Origin Vietnam, why do you hesitate to make plans to explore this beautiful land?
Plan your Vietnam tour to Hoa Binh? contact Origin Vietnam immediately – a professional tour operator in Vietnam. Our team of experienced, dedicated, and thoroughly knowledgeable consultants and local guides will take you on a journey to discover Hoa Binh, providing exciting experiences and creating unforgettable.