Bac Yen is one of the famous tourist destinations of Son La province, Vietnam. Travelling to Bac Yen, Son La, you will be completely immersed in the fresh and cool air of nature, the intact beauty of pristine forests and mountains that have not been subject to much human exploitation, which is a tourist trend schedule recently. Follow Origin travel team to discover the travel beauty of Bac Yen as detailed.
2. Where is Bac Yen?
Bac Yen is a highland district located in the Northeast of Son La province, Vietnam, about 100 km from Son La city, about 193 km from the center of Hanoi capital, with geographical location:
- The east borders Phu Yen district and Moc Chau district.
- The west borders Mai Son district.
- The south borders Yen Chau district
- To the north, it borders Muong La district and Tram Tau district, Yen Bai province.
2. How is Bac Yen unique?
The district has diverse terrain and climate characteristics, the average altitude above sea level is 1,000m, with Ta Xua peak 2,865m high; divided terrain, many high mountains, deep abysses, steep slopes; 85% of the area has a slope of more than 25 degrees. There is the Da River flowing in the Northwest – Southeast direction through 6 communes and 46 villages of the district. In addition, there are many other small rivers and streams,… which are ideal conditions for tourism development, especially this type of tourism. Mountain exploration and climbing schedule.
The whole district has 16 communes, towns, 152 villages and sub-areas. With a population of over 60,000 people, there are 7 ethnic groups living together (Thai, Muong, Mong, Dao, Kinh, Tay, Kho Mu) of which the Mong ethnic group accounts for 42.7%.
Not as famous as Hoa Binh or Ha Giang tourism with countless landscapes always crowded with visitors, tourist destinations in Bac Yen and Son La are still quite new and imbued with the wild colors of the mountains and forests. Not many tourists know about it.
However, it is this quiet development that has kept Bac Yen tourism a completely separate color. The majestic natural scenery here is both realistic and magical. Bac Yen is also considered by many tourists to be one of the most beautiful cloud hunting spots in the Northwest of Vietnam.
Coming to Bac Yen, Son La, you will be completely immersed in the fresh and cool air of nature, the intact beauty of the pristine forests and mountains will help you wash away all worries and worries that are still bothering you. .
3. When is the best time to travel to Bac Yen?
According to the experience of veteran backpackers, the appropriate time to go to Bac Son is from October to April of the following year. During this time, the probability of seeing clouds in the valley is much higher than at other times. The long, dense sea of clouds, overlapping layer upon layer, will make you fascinated.
- December to March is the time when flowers in Bac Yen bloom and is also the most suitable time to hunt clouds. The weather at this time is a bit dry and cold, so if you come to Ta Xua at this time, remember to bring warm clothes.
- April to July is when Bac Yen is in flood season. This is the time when the terraced fields here have unmatched beauty.
- August to November is the time when Bac Yen changes from summer to winter. The weather at this time is quite cool, very suitable for traveling.
4. How to get to Bac Yen – Son La from Hanoi?
Located about 200 km from the capital Hanoi, people can travel to Bac Yen in many different ways, including passenger cars, motorbikes, and cars. According to the Travel Guide to Bac Yen, for those of you who are in remote areas like the Central or Southern regions, you should go to Hanoi by plane or train, and then continue to this highland commune.
From Hanoi, depending on the vehicle you choose, there will be different ways to go to Bac Yen:
- If you choose to take the bus, you just need to take a taxi to My Dinh bus station – Hanoi and then buy a ticket to Bac Yen town – Son La.
- If you choose to go to Bac Yen by motorbike, from Hanoi, follow Highway 32 to Son Tay Town, cross Trung Ha Bridge and then go to Thanh Son and Thu Cuc. At Thu Cuc intersection, you go through Phu Yen and you will reach Bac Yen town.
5. Top sightseeing & activities in Bac Yen
Some famous tourist destinations in Bac Yen that any tourist should not miss include: Ta Xua, Xim Vang, Pu Nhi hill, A Phu couple cave…
5.1. Ta Xua
When it comes to traveling to Bac Yen, everyone will surely remember Ta Xua. Possessing an extremely majestic and beautiful natural landscape, Ta Xua is the top tourist destination in Bac Yen. When visiting Ta Xua, don’t forget to check-in at famous places. Such as: Dinosaur spine, lonely tree, Dolphin snout, ancient tea tree,… to better feel the beauty of nature here!
5.2. Xim Vang
Xim Vang has a pristine, simple but no less splendid beauty with terraced fields stretching across the hillside, dyeing a corner of the sky yellow every ripe rice season. It also owns many tourist attractions with extremely beautiful landscapes. Such as: Xim Vang Waterfall or Sa Mu Peak with an altitude of 2756m, extremely suitable for those who are passionate about traveling to explore nature.
5.3. Pu Nhi Hill
Pu Nhi Hill has been an emerging destination in Bac Yen recently. From a wild hill of more than 2 hectares, it has now been invested and developed into a modern tourist resort while still retaining the wild, pure and peaceful beauty of nature. Coming to Pu Nhi hill, visitors can freely take check-in photos at every corner, participate in camping and enjoy extremely “chill” outdoor barbecue parties with family and friends.
5.4. A Phu Cave
If you have the opportunity to visit Bac Yen, remember to visit A Phu cave – a famous place associated with the literary work “A Phu and his wife”. After visiting A Phu cave, tourists can also take time to explore Hong Ngai village, where the nature of the mountains and forests has a magical, indescribably attractive color.
6. Specialties in Bac Yen
Son La is a mountainous province in the Northwest region of Vietnam. This place attracts tourists not only because of its majestic nature, cool and fresh climate, and unique culture. It is the rich culinary culture here that also captivates tourists from all over.
Once you travel here, you should buy gifts to give to your relatives. Therefore, Origin Vietnam introduces you to buying some of these Son La specialties as gifts, making everyone sobbing.
6.1. Pa Pinh top
Pa Pinh top is essentially a grilled fish dish, but prepared with typical spices of the Northwest mountains and forests, giving it a unique new flavor. With ingredients. Such as: Mac Khen, doi seeds, dill, basil, chili, lemongrass,… stuffed inside the fish belly to soak, making the fish meat more flavorful when eaten.
6.2. Buffalo skin salad
Buffalo skin salad is a dish prepared according to a Thai family recipe, with a delicious and unique flavor.
After being thoroughly cleaned and boiled, the buffalo skin is marinated with spices such as: Garlic, sour bamboo shoot juice, mac Khen and then eaten with wild vegetables to enhance the flavor when enjoying. When you eat, you will feel the crunchy but slightly chewy, sweet taste of buffalo skin mixed with delicious typical spices.
6.3. Lam rice
Lam rice is one of the famous specialties in Son La and is bought by many tourists for relatives and close friends when traveling here.
Son La Lam rice is made from yellow flower sticky rice and black rice soaked with salt and ginger overnight. When enjoying this dish, there will be a light aroma of rice and ginger.
6.4. Smoked buffalo meat
This dish is considered a specialty of the Northwest mountains in general and Son La in particular. The ingredients for this dish are mainly buffalo or pork meat that is freely roamed on the mountain slopes.
When processing, the meat is filtered into pieces, seasoned with salt, ginger, chili, mac khen, and some other additives, then they will smoke each piece of meat over the smoke of charcoal burned from forest trees.
6.5. Pickled meat
One of Son La’s specialties as a gift that many tourists love is pickled meat. This dish is unique in that the longer it is left, the more delicious and chewy it becomes.
The Dao people consider this a traditional cuisine. While making pickled meat isn’t difficult, achieving delicious pickled meat requires a considerable amount of time to savor the perfect taste.
7. Accommodations in Bac Yen
As a destination that is gradually attracting many tourists from all over, the accommodation system in Bac Yen is increasingly receiving attention, investment has not only met the needs of accommodation for tourists but still maintains its original status. natural environment to exploit tourism in a sustainable way. When traveling to Bac Yen – Son La, you can refer to some reliable hotels, motels and homestays below:
7.1. Hotels in Bac Yen:
- Sao Mai Hotel. Address: Highway 37, Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La.
- Nhat Vuong Hotel. Address: Sub-zone 4, Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
- Dong Tam Hotel. Address: Highway 37, Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
7.2. Guesthouses in Bac Yen:
- Thuy Lien Guesthouse. Address: Highway 37, Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
- Bac Yen Guesthouse. Address: Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
- Nguyen San Guesthouse. Address: Ta Xua Street, Sub-zone 3, Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
- Tieu Thuy Guesthouse. Address: 584 Phieng Ban 2, National Highway 37, Bac Yen, Son La
- An Binh Guesthouse. Address: Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La
7.3. Homestays in Bac Yen:
- Anh Tai Homestay. Address: Ta Xua Commune, Bac Yen, Son La
- Thuy Linh Homestay. Address: Ta Xua Commune, Bac Yen, Son La
- Nam To Homestay. Address: Ta Xua, Bac Yen, Son La
- Mua Khu Homestay. Address: Ta Xua, Bac Yen, Son La
- Hong Anh 1 Homestay. Address: Bac Yen Town, Bac Yen, Son La.
8. Some important notes when visiting Bac Yen
In order to have the most complete trip to Bac Yen, you need to note the following:
- Check the weather forecast and it’s best to choose a day when it’s just drizzling, the temperature is low at night and high during the day, and the day must be sunny.
- Drive carefully, do not travel at night, and do not travel in too large a group.
- If possible, choose to camp overnight because early morning clouds are the thickest.
- If you stay at a Homestay/motel in the center of the commune, you must get up very early in the morning.
- Determine the direction of sunrise at the place you choose to hunt clouds to get the best angles.
- Prepare necessary items such as: coat, blanket, raincoat, glasses, lighter, flashlight, cold food,…
- Check the fuel tank before starting to conquer Ta Xua peak.
- If traveling to Bac Yen by car, you should travel with less than 12 seats because the road is very slippery and dangerous.
- You can combine some Son La tourist destinations like Moc Chau to make your trip more attractive.
It’s worth a visit Bac Yen
Each destination in Bac Yen Son La is a beautiful tourist destination with wonderful natural scenery like a picture. You will probably need a 3-4 day journey to explore all these places, fully enjoying the most beautiful youthful moments in Son La.
If you are planning your trip to Bac Yen – Son La, please contact Origin Vietnam – a professional tour organizer and operator for the best Vietnam tour packages with reasonable price. With a team of experienced tour consultants and guides